It makes a huge pot, so plenty of big bowls of steamy soup!
Very simple ingredients and not a lot of time...a winning combination for busy cooks.
Red lentils cook really fast right in the soup pot and are packed with protein.
One large onion...makes my cry..tears....wahhh!!!
Having fun playing with my food....carrots, 2 red potatoes and garlic, easy right?
Sauting onions with spices...smells amazing!
Add potatoes and carrots, cover and cook until tender.
Add in all the good stuff...stock, lentils, fire roasted tomotoes, cover and let cook for a bit.
Attack those soft veggies and lentils with an immersion blender (the best $14. I ever spent) if you don't have one buy it today...they are so handy...get it?!!!
Top with fresh cilantro and lunch is done!!
As we cheer for our local team the New York Giants on Sunday, the big blue as they are often refered to here in Hoboken...we should also remember another giant known for something blue.
Good old blue eyes himself....our Frank Sinatra!!! He's everywhere in town.
And as far as football goes....
Hail Merry's aren't just a pass on the field...
They're a fun little bag of macaroons!!!
Have a Soup-erbowl Sunday everyone!!
Rock’ in Red Lentil Soup
This warm and hearty winter soup will keep you full forever. It’s packed with protein, tons of vitamins, minerals and toasty spices like turmeric which works as a natural anti-inflammatory, garlic which lowers cholesterol and blood pressure. Your healthy body is crying out for you to make this soup!! Go ahead give it a try, you’re so worth it!! This recipe was adapted from ‘Edible Nutmeg’ Magazine.
Yields: 8-10 generous servings Prep Time: 15-20 minutes Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, diced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup of carrots (2-3 carrots) chopped
1 large or 2 medium red potatoes, diced (skins on) or sweet potato-(no skin)
2 cups of red lentils, rinsed and drained
8 cups water, vegetable or chicken stock
1 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted)
Salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until soft, 5-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring continuously until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
2. Stir in all the spices, turmeric, coriander, cumin, and cayenne. And take a big whiff…it should smell amazing!!
3. Add chopped carrots and potatoes; stir to combine with all the onions and spices. Partially cover and cook for about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add lentils, tomatoes, and stock stir to combine. Bring heat up to a low boil, and then back down to a low simmer, uncovered. Lentils will cook very quickly. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste. You can enjoy the soup, like this or I prefer to puree it with an immersion blender, so it is creamy and smooth.
6. Top with diced avocado, cilantro and scallions and you will feel so good putting all those fresh, healthy, whole foods in your body. Enjoy!